Waste Reduction & Recycling
How can you help?
Get the Facts:
The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality answers commonly asked questions about waste in the Commonwealth.
Create Less Waste:
- Earth911 – Check out what can be recycled in your community. Earth911 allows you to search by your zip code to find what can be recycled within your region. You are likely to be surprised!
- What’s Your Recipe? – Do you have baking soda and vinegar in your house? You would be amazed at their many uses around the house. Try buying fewer products to reduce clutter in your house
- Ask HRGreen - This is a public awareness stewardship campaign in the Hampton Roads region that educates citizens about recycling and what citizens can do to help the environment around the house, yard, environment, business, community and classroom.
- Assign-a-Highway – Non-violent probationers can be assigned via a court order to keep assigned stretches of roadway clean. Failure to do so will result in jail time.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) – A – Z information on litter, recycling, reuse, etc.
- Keep America Beautiful (KAB) Guide to Cigarette Litter - KAB developed an educational cigarette litter prevention program with proven solutions for reducing cigarette litter in your community. Get results in your community. Start now.
- Keep Virginia Beautiful (KVB) - Impact areas include litter, recycling, waste reduction, beautification and education.
- Litter Prevention Resources from Clean Virginia Waterways (CVW). CVW offers statistics and information about litter and how it impacts wildlife and the water.
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality - Manages the statewide litter and recycling program.
- Virginia Recycling Association (VRA) – The VRA is a non-stock, non-profit Virginia corporation composed of individuals and organizations of diverse interests. The membership is committed to the common goal of promoting recycling as an integral part of resource conservation and solid waste management.